Connie's Blabber

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Logic of Life, by Tim Harford

The Logic of Life by Tim Harford

Tim Harford's first book, The Undercover Economist, was the sort of book on economics that I like: precise, logical, and full of sharp observations backed up by facts. So when I read a positive review in the Economist on Mr. Harford's latest work, I bought it promptly.

I'm afraid I'm not quite as enthusiastic as the Economist about The Logic of Life. In fact, I'm contemplating on writing Mr. Harford a long letter arguing about some of the points he made which are, in my humble opinion, illogical. After reading The Undercover Economist, I learnt many useful and eye-opening things in everyday life. While reading The Logic of Life, I found myself saying either, Hey, this is not true, or, Well, tell me something I didn't know. Also, it is unsatisfying to read that, Situation A and Situation B are different because A is caused by X while B is caused by Y, but the author has no explanation on why one group arrived at X while another arrived at Y. I know it is not easy to explain human beings. One would have to write a separate book for each of the topics touched by Mr. Harford. That is the biggest problem with The Logic of Life. It is supposed to be on economics, but it strays too far into social issues, a minefield best left untouched by anyone who really wants to use scientific methods and logic.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home