Connie's Blabber

Monday, July 7, 2008

A Death in Vienna, by Frank Tallis

A Death in Vienna by Frank Tallis

This is a whodunit murder mystery written by a real-life psychiatrist. In the story, a detective and his doctor friend try to solve a seemingly impossible murder using psycho analysis as well as old-fashion detective methods. The story took place in Vienna in 1902, so predictably, Sigmund Freud made a few appearances.

I spent a week in Vienna in the summer of 1991, and have vivid memories of that gorgeous city. Jeff and I will be there this coming fall. That was how this Vienna-based novel caught my eye. Tallis writes in a pleasant prose; the story is absorbing; and I was happy to read about the familiar places in Vienna. However, I have never been one to have a great deal of faith in the psychiatry profession. Some of the described symptoms in the book, such as multiple personalities, repressed memories, are so passé. And am I to believe that hypnosis can be used to solve crimes? Please. Nevertheless, it was a fun read, and a harmless diversion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home