Connie's Blabber

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Persepolis: The Story Of A Childhood, by Marjane Strapi

I brought this book with me to Mexico along with the other three, but when I was stretched out on a white sandy beach, I asked myself, Do I want to open a book about life in Iran during the Islamic Revolution? Why did I even bring such a book to this paradise? So Marjane Strapi's memoir in the form of a graphics novel flew from Toronto to Cancun and back untouched.

Once I was home and thrown back into snow storms and temperatures at below -15 degrees Celsius, I had no problems finishing the book. It's very funny, very sad, and very interesting. Iran is not a country that I know much about, so I'm happy to learn new things. Their Islamic Revolution reminds me of China's Cultural Revolution, yet they are also quite different. Such a strange and fascinating land.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home